Mapleton's Lateral Canal Trail is an asphalt trail between 10 to 14 feet in width for non-motorized use (pedestrian, bicycle, equestrian, etc.).
The trail begins at the Hobble Creek Trail in Springville and runs South along 1900 East, West along 1600 North, and South on top of the Mapleton Lateral Canal corridor to SR-6.
The completed trail from Phase 1 is a 4 mile segment from Springville’s Hobble Creek Trail south to approximately 2200 South Main Street in Mapleton. The second phase of construction will begin in the summer of 2017 & will extend to SR-6, budget permitting.
- Whenever possible, always be on the trail with someone else.
- While walking, jogging or biking on any park or trail, make sure a responsible person knows your plans, where you will be and when you expect to return.
- Carry identification that includes your name, phone number, pertinent medical information, and emergency contact.
- Take a cell phone and make sure you can quickly make a call in case of an emergency or see any suspicious activity.
- While using the parks or trail during the daytime hours, wear bright colors.
- While using the parks or trail at night, wear light color clothing or a reflective vest.
- Make sure that the music from your IPod or listening device isn’t too loud so that you can hear people passing or approaching while you enjoy the park or trail.
- If a suspicious person appears to be following you, create some distance and prepare to react by calling 9-1-1 or moving to a secure location. Acting alert and aware can deter bad guys.
- Any Suspicious Activity, dial 9-1-1. When in doubt, have law enforcement check it out. Still call 9-1-1!
The trail is for fitness and fun. Here are some suggestions to help all trail users to share the trails by following simple etiquette rules so everyone has a great and safe time on the trails:
- Stay right and pass on left
- Announce "Passing on the left"
- Bikes yield to pedestrians
- Travel at a safe speed
- Keep an eye on children
- Keep dogs on a short leash
- Single file in groups